Sunday, October 22, 2006

My Life in Sydney - Final Part

Some of you who have been reading my blog might feel a bit tired of my Sydney series already. This is going to be the last, just let me finish what I want to say, ok?

Australia is truly a multi-national country. You can see so many people from different countries. Just in the project I was involved, I had worked with Australian, Malaysian, Indian, Vietnamese, New Zealander, Singaporean, Irish, South African, Russian, Thai and Greek etc.

Many said if you migrate to Australia, you will be treated like a 2nd-class citizen. I actually asked a few of my colleagues who migrated there. They didn’t really answer me whether they feel like 2nd class citizen but they all think that Australia is a lovely country, much better than the country they came from. I guess it really doesn’t matter to them whether they are being treated equally as long as life is better in Australia.

So, after reading My Life in Sydney series sure you think I must be enjoying my time there. Well, not entirely…

Like other tourists, it was really fun for the first 2-3 weeks. When I first got there, I wanted to go here go there, do this do that. But after 2-3 weeks, I started to feel bored. Don’t forget I was there for work…

It was winter, and I really didn’t like it. The sky became dark at 5pm, it was cold and it rained very often. With the stress of work, no one to talk to, sometimes it was quite depressing.

The 2 biggest sports in Australia are Rugby and Cricket. They say Rugby is a men sport and Cricket is a gentlemen sport. Too bad I don’t like both, although I consider myself a sport lover. There are 5 free TV channels in Australia but sometimes there could be 2 channels showing 2 Rugby games at the same time.
: (
F1 was only shown delay in the midnight. Luckily there was World Cup to make my day.

Anyway I still think Sydney is a nice city but I hope I can travel to more places in Australia next time.

6 comments:

Selba said...

My traveling to OZ included Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne. For me, Sydney is the best city.. and I love the China Town in Sydney.

I've been traveling to many countries and also studied in 2 other countries beside in Indonesia. I always wanted to move out from Indonesia for good because I thought that living in other countries must be much nicer than Indonesia, especially after I return from my traveling but then now I realized that for sure, when we are traveling, we are in the holiday mood, enjoying the scenery, new stuff etc. but when it already back to daily life, no new excitements, then everything will become ordinary.. it's just the matter whether we are happy and satisfy or not with our lives, then places wont matter at all as long it's a safe place...

Btw, I really enjoy reading your posts of your life in Sydney. Thanks for sharing it :)

kaywin said...

At least you have been to other cities, much better than me.

Thanks for reading and your comments.

kaywin said...

Another thing I don't like about Australia and European countries is a lot of shops including shopping mall close at 5pm except Thursday...

Selba said...

Hahaha.. yup, you are right about it... and in Europe they even close during weekends. Don't you think it's weird?
Poor worker people, they can not shop at all except taking leaves... or should we said lucky them, so they don't spend to much their money for shopping? kekeke...

Unknown said...

then they all really have a very 'relax' weekend....
stay home and watch TV....KEKEKEKEKEKE

Anonymous said...

2nd-class citizen in Australia...mmmm...well, don't you see the similarity living in Malaysia as well? So, anywhere we go in this world, we'll still be 2nd-class citizens.