Wednesday, November 15, 2006

World Vision

Today I received a mail with a child photo. She is a 12 year-old girl from Hebei PingQuan, China. I have never seen this child before but somehow there is a special feeling. I feel happy because I hope I will be able to make a difference to her life.

She is a child I sponsor via
World Vision Malaysia recently, I just need to contribute RM50 per month.

How much can you do with RM50 a month these days?

RM50 is not even enough to pump a full tank of petrol, may be an OK dinner for 2? How about investing it in long-term development programmes that will give a child, his/her family and community a brighter future? Your contribution will be pooled together to provide clean water, health care, food & agriculture, education and economic development of the community where your sponsored child lives.



Check out the flash demo here.
















You will be able to see the progress of your sponsored child and know how your contribution is being used. I think this is a good way to contribute.

A lot of people don't want to let others know when they contribute to charity. But nowadays many have changed their thinking, a lot of celebrities are involved in charity work to create some awareness and to influence others to do the same. I am no celebrity and can't influence many people. But if by sharing this can create some awareness to some who read this blog, I think it is good enough.






















If you sponsor a child after you read this blog, please let me know, I will be very happy. : )



12 comments:

jasonho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Selba said...

Yup, a good way of contribution...

Good for the little girl and also for you :)

I'm not so sure whether there's a program for this way contribution in Indonesia but in Jakarta, there are a lot of children on the street especially at the traffic light begging for money.

kaywin said...

I didn't see Indonesia in the list of countries because there are other countries which need this more than Indonesia.

MasterMind said...

Hmmm... I wonder how this works? Are the children selected randomly or something? Plus, RM 50 is hardly enough for one month rite? Does that mean they allow many sponsors per child (confused lah that kid if have to write to so many sponsors)? I wonder how much actually reaches the child?

Not that there's reason to doubt WV since it's a very reputable organization. Just curious...

MasterMind said...

BTW, dun you think it's strange for Hollywood stars to suddenly adopt Asian babies now as if it's a fashion statement? Not that wanna doubt their intentions, but a sudden flurry of adoption is strange, no? Let's hope none of them suddenly fall in love with their own adopted child like one Hollywood actor we know.

I like dogs very much and this is just like times when suddenly everyone wants to buy a certain breed of puppies only to abandon them once they are grown and no longer 'cute'. After 101 Dalmations is out, there a huge demand for them, but a few months later it's more like huge demand of space in dog pounds to put them in.

kaywin said...

Good questions. My understanding is the money won't reach the hand of the child or his family but will be pooled together to develop the area. I think the money will benefit the community directly. RM50 per month is not much here but to a place with RM555 annual income per capita I believe the pooled fund should be able to help alleviate their problems in long term. The concept of child sponsorship I think is for you to be able to feel more connected to your contribution. You will be updated with the progress of the community and your sponsored child. You can choose to write to your sponsored child but no exchange of contact details are allowed. Everything will have to go through WV and will be filtered by them.

About those Hollywood stars...I donno lar...Let me ask Angelina Jolie when I see her next time!!!

jasonho said...

Part of the reason is to evade taxes.

Anonymous said...

No every Hollywood star are welcomed to adopt children. MJ, WV better think twice.

kaywin said...

Actually the one through WV is not adopt but sponsor.

Anonymous said...

Huh? Adopt Asian children also can avoid taxes? Bolehkah?

Can I adopt a dog from SPCA and evade taxes ah?

Anonymous said...

it's touching to see this post, really agree the say that sharing out views & experience about the sponsorship is more constructive than keeping quiet about it.

Not sure whether World Vision is the best organization in handling the funds, at least their record is still quite clean so far.
may be we can all find out more and suggest better option if there's any.

It's right that there could be different reasons behind every donation, some people wants to help people and make a difference, some do it for avoiding tax...gain reputations...etc. or may be did too much guilty things, need to do something good to balance it.
No matter what, it's good if a child's life can get improved.

Heard a story before,
There was a big wave from the sea pushes thousands of small fishes on to the beach, and thousands of fishes jumping and dying on the bay....
A kid start picking them up one by one and put them back in the sea, a young man pass by asked him "Why you waste your time doing that? You won't be able to put all of them back to the sea." The kid replied "I won't be able to change the whole situation, but I can change the life for every single fish that I put back to the sea and I believe they'll want me to do that."

Do you think the kid will stop saving the fishes because he sees any others kicking the fish back into the sea when the fish is blocking their way? :)

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I read your blog, knowing that you do charity. Well, I know whom to approach first thing when it comes charity. Our Community Service team will be expecting some contributions from you then.

Anyway, keep up the good work and spirits.