Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Gonbei Japanese Restaurant

Last Friday I joined 6 of my ex-colleagues and went for a big makan makan at Gonbei Japanese Restaurant in Starhill Gallery.





















The restaurant is designed by Yuhkichi Kawai, the man who created Starhill Gallery's Feast Village. It offers an authentic Japanese cuisine which is based on time-honored Japanese customs and traditions.


































We were sitting at the counter on which is displayed a fresh selection of seafood on ice, meat and vegetables. Right in the center was the yakikata or grillmaster.























This is quite an up-market restaurant but we didn't bother much because our budget was RM4000...heheh...

Here is the story, 3 years ago my ex company wanted us to write some papers to be filed for patent. 3 years later, 4 of the documents submitted by our department were selected for public disclosure and the one I wrote will be filed for patent. We were given RM4200 in total as a token of encouragement. As I already left the company, my share of RM1650 goes to the department. So our target was to spend all the money.

We ordered some of the expensive dishes, including 2 kinki (rock fish) and 2 plates of omakase tokujo sushi (chef's special assorted nigiri sushi with premium toro, premium uni). The kinki fish was just about palm size and cost RM150, and the 10 pieces sushi cost RM180.
















Kink (rock fish) - RM 150

















This 10 pieces of sushi cost RM180

We also had wagyu kushiyaki (wagyu skewer), taraba kani tempura (king crab mud tempura), imo sochu and many more. I seldom eat beef but the wagyu kushiyaki was the best beef I have ever had.

















Wagyu Kushiyaki (RM 28 per skewer)




















Taraba Kani Tempura (RM 85)















Yakitori (RM 5 per skewer)






















Imo sochu


















Aspara (RM 10)
































Ika Ichiiyaboshi (RM 18)

































Tebasaki (RM 5 per piece)



Check out the bill for what else we ate. We will spend the remaining money soon...






7 comments:

jasonho said...

mastermind - Yet another suggestion here.

kaywin - Nice ambience. Should use the remaining balance in this place again, this time with a chick.

Selba said...

Wow..

I can see the total amount! hehehe... How nice to spend money for good food :)

MasterMind said...

MasterMind just became BlankMind seeing the total. Perhaps that's not too bad a suggestion, but I would rather eat something more 'special', no? Seems excessive since the sushi looks just like those in normal sushi bars.

Shouldn't have gone to Chilli's the last time lah I think. Maybe we go somewhere nice for Xmas. CNY is coming up too. Lots of reasons to celebrate.

Unknown said...

wah..cool.
Eat without thinking / worrying about budget...priceless :)

Anonymous said...

Helooo Kaywin,

FB pointed me to this blog of yours. Hows evetything? Btw, nice blog but too bad I don't know how to make one.

kaywin said...

Hi ET,

I am fine. It's as easy as ABC for a geek like you. Just register at beta.blogger.com.

Btw, how's life in Melbourne? I will be going to Sydney next Jan. Hope can go to Melbourne this time.

Anonymous said...

I am ok la.. same old same old recently. hehehe. Coming down udner soon? Ya.. if u're heading melbourne, do let me know , i will send you my mobile # thru email later.

Anyway I will be back to Malaysia for a short holiday during Christmas break. Initially wanted to go back during CNY but aiya.. long story, it's all becoz of the !@!@ damn M'sian Embassy here in Australia.. Useless people, as useless as they were back home. Dont wanna talk abt them la