Monday, January 22, 2007

Left Right Hands

We live in a world which is dominated by right handers. Do you realise that many products are designed for right handers? e.g. can opener, scissors, guitar, sharpener, bowling ball and bowling shoes etc. It is difficult to cut paper following a line with your left hand using a normal scissors. I find this lefties FAQ site quite interesting.

People who know me know that I am a left hander. My hand always 'fight' with the guy sitting on my left when eating. But actually I am not a pure left hander. Except for writing, drawing, painting and eating, I use right hand to do most of the stuff as others do. I use scissors, mouse, open door, hold racket, play bowling using my right hand.

Normally lefties only use left hand to do most of the things, I am not really sure why I am different. I thought about this and figured out that I feel more comfortable using my left hand for things that require a bit of skill with fingers. For the rest that doesn't require much skill, I can adapt to the right-handed world easily.

Many cultures including Chinese consider using left hand something bad and a lot of parents would force their children to use their right hands. Actually left handers simply have a more dominant right brain, which means that they might be more creative. I always think it is not right to force kids to use their right hands. If they prefer to write or draw with their left hands, that means they are more comfortable using the left hands and the results could be better. Jimmy Connors, Martina Navratilova might not win a Grand Slam if they were forced to use right hand to play tennis when small; the same for Yang Yang and Zhao Jian Hua in badminton.

Do you know Leonardo Da Vinci is also a left hander? For those of you who only know him from 'Da Vinci Code' or the painter of 'Monalisa', he is also an architect, anatomist, sculptor, engineer, inventor, mathematician, musician and scientist.






























8 comments:

Unknown said...

keke i am 'pure' left-hander (hmmmmm almost)

Anonymous said...

I was 1 of the 'guys' hand-fighting with you when we go out to eat! So inconvenient! Make sure you get a leftie-partner or force yourself to be a rightie when you're out on a date!

You're great,being able to teach both your hands to do things. Very terra indeed.

kaywin said...

girl next door: there will only be 2 persons on a date. Can't 'fight' when sitting opposite each other. Even side by side she can still sit on my right...no problem one...

Anonymous said...

I think finding the girl that is willing to sit will be the real problem.. heheheeh.. just kidding.. how cruel of me!

Anyway, they have err.. left-handed shops (well, u know what i mean) that sells 'modified' day-to-day things for people like leecs. Haven't seen one in Msia though.

Actually, KW, you are quite creative I think (but dunno how come u r in IT lah.. aren't u supposed to be a designer or something?). I still can remember u finding that guy's face in the coffee bean pic. And those puzzle-like stuff that you always managed to solve when we receive those in junk mails.

kaywin said...

right_handed: solving puzzle doesn't mean creative wor...solving puzzle actually needs more logical than creative thinking, which is supposed to be the strength of the right_handed. But I like to solve puzzle lah, just like the 'find 2 alike' wii game..any challenger? kekekek

Anonymous said...

Right-Handed:

"I think finding the girl that is willing to sit will be the real problem"

Bravo!! hehehe

jasonho said...

girl next door: Wow. That hurts. I mean for kaywin.

kaywin: BTW, i just got another game that comes with a steering wheel. We should have another round of Wii party.

kaywin said...

jason: Excellent! Can drift or not?